Van Meter Hall was the first building constructed on the Goucher College campus. Completed in 1949, the stone structure was used as the college’s primary classroom and faculty building. By the late 1990s, the building had become outdated and failed to meet the latest teaching methods. Ziger/Snead responded with a major renovation that provides state-of-the-art facilities while encouraging informal collegial interaction. Two additions to the original structure provide new classrooms, lecture hall, film studio, lounges and faculty offices, with casual spaces for impromptu discussions. The new stair tower and trellised entry court provide additional locations to meet and talk. While oriented to modern student life, the new additions respect the campus architecture with stone walls and sloping slate roofs that match the neighboring structure.
Owner: Goucher College
Location: Towson, Maryland
Construction Cost: $5,500,000
Area: 48,500 sf
Program: classrooms, lecture hall, film studio, lounges, faculty offices, information learning spaces